THE POWER OF VR 44 UNDER ORGANIC CERTICATION
This active dry yeast is the strain SafŒno™ VR 44 certified organic by ECOCERT FR-BIO-01 according to European regulations.
In compliance with the Council Regulation (EC) No 834/2007 on organic production and labelling of organic products and to its implementation through the Commission Regulation (EC) No 889/2008 (and their amendments), the use of this yeast is complying with organic wine production rules defined by the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 203/2012 (and its amendments).
Based on mutual recognition with EU regulation, SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO may be recognized as organic in the US as it meets NOP requirements per USDA guidelines.
Ingredients: Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisae)
* According to « The Yeasts, A Taxonomic Study » 5th edition, C.P. Kurtzman, J.W. Fell and T. Boekhout, 2011.
SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO sensory features
SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO is convenient for all types of applications even in difficult wine making conditions. Resistant, robust and with low needs in nitrogen, this strain allows to decrease the use of inputs. It is the reason why it is particularly adapted to the production of organic wines.
Organic base wines and prise de mousse
SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO expresses all features that are suitable for high quality organic base wines intended to produce organic sparkling wines through the classic method, i.e. crispness, freshness and frankness. It is also particularly adapted to secondary fermentation (in bottle under the classic method particularly or in tank).
Organic white wines
Ideal for fermentations under controlled temperatures (on Chardonnay, Sémillon, Trebbiano, Malvasia, Pinot Griggio…).
Given its fermentations characteristics, SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO allows the production of prestigious organic red wines fine, neat and with terroir characters (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenère, Barbera, Sangiovese, Teroldego…).
SafŒno™ VR 44 was selected for its excellent fermentation characteristics and its suitability for sparkling wine making conditions (Fermentis® selection).
- Gently pour the desired quantity of yeast in 10 times its weight of tap water at 30-35°C in a wide vessel. Pay attention to cover all the water surface area by creating a thin layer of yeast.
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Gently stir to complete yeast rehydration while avoiding the formation of lumps prior acclimatization.
- Double progressively the volume of the yeast suspension by adding must from the tank while stirring the mix so that the temperature of the yeast starter decreases and yeast activation starts.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Homogenize and incorporate the yeast starter in the fermentation tank during a pumping over with aeration.
SafŒno™ VR 44 BIO technical features
→ Medium-fast fermentation start and medium-fast fermentation kinetics
→ Recommended maximum alcohol: up to 16% vol./vol.
→ Recommended temperature range: 10-30 °C (50-86°F)
→ Very good fructose assimilation
→ Very low nitrogen requirements: Ratio YAN (mg/L) / Sugars (g/L): from 0.7
→ Killer phenotype, very good settlement strength
→ Very high acidity maintenance
→ Medium production of volatile acidity
→ Very low production of H2S, medium production of SO2 and medium-high combination
→ Medium high production of higher alcohols and acetate esters, very high production of ethyl esters
Lesaffre know-how and continuous yeast production process improvement lead to obtain an exceptional quality of dry yeasts able to resist to a very wide range of use, cold or no rehydration included, without affecting their viability, kinetic and/or analytical profile.Winemakers can choose usage conditions that fit the best their needs, i.e.:
- Direct inoculation: Pour the yeast on the surface of at least 10 times their weight of must (possibly directly on the top of the tank or during tank filling after settling for whites and rosés). Gently stir to avoid or break clumps. Immediately transfer into the tank via a pumping over with aeration (or homogenize tank volume).
- With prior rehydration: Pour the yeast on the surface of 10 times their weight of tap water at room temperature. Gently stir to avoid or break clumps. Wait for 20 minutes and transfer into the tank via a pumping over with aeration.
Carton of 20 vacuum-packed sachets of 500g each (Full box net weight: 10 kg)
The high rate of dry matter of our yeasts assures an optimum storage in its original packaging at a temperature not higher than 10°C (during 2 years).
Fermentis® guarantees the product complies with the International Oenological Codex until its Best Before End Date in the storage conditions mentioned above. All our products are also fully authorized per TTB 27 CFR 24.246 prior to and during fermentation.
This Fermentis® yeast is developed under a specific organic production scheme and benefits from the know-how of the Lesaffre group, world leader in yeast manufacturing. This guarantees the highest microbiological purity and maximum fermentation activity.
The data contained in this technical sheet are the exact transcription of our knowledge of the product at the mentioned date. They are the exclusive property of Fermentis-Division of S.I.Lesaffre. It is of the user responsibility to make sure that the usage of this particular product complies with the legislation.